Epilepsy is the most common neurological disorder that one faces. It is also a very misunderstood disease and hence one needs to have a very clear idea about it.
When it comes to facts about this particular disorder, these are a few things that one has to be aware of:
- First of all, one has to accept that this disease is widespread. According to medical research many people suffer from this disorder and the ratio is definitely more than muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and Parkinson’s disease. This disease is most prevalent from childhood to old age and it can develop at any time. A person who is considered to have this problem can experience 2 or more unprovoked seizures more than 24 hours.
- As per Epilepsy research centres and foundations, there is only 1 among 3 patients who actually knows their cause of epilepsy. One can consult top doctors online and they would say that the common causes are stroke, head injury, brain tumour and infection like encephalitis and meningitis. Hence, getting the facts right about epilepsy is very important. A doctor can always perform some tests on brain scans and then determine on the possible causes and then develop a treatment plan for the patient accordingly.
- Common seizures triggers include substances like drugs and alcohol. It can also happen because of high level of stress, poor sleep, hormonal changes, flashing lights, dehydration and very low blood sugar level in the body. One has to keep a journal of the seizures and sleep habits to pinpoint the triggers and then manage those symptoms.
- There can be different types of seizures. Stiff and jerky movements, loss of consciousness are the most common ones. But there can also be involuntary movements, mild muscle spasms, disruption of speech, vision, movement and senses.
- Many people do experience some warning signals when a seizure is about to happen. The warming signs can include sensitivity to sounds, smells or even sight. It can also cause nausea, anxiety and dizziness.
- People with epilepsy also suffer from being autistic. They are also said to have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and depression. There can also be some similar changes in the brain functioning if not these conditions.
- Help is always available when one is suffering from epilepsy. One can easily book doctor appointments for a check up and the doctor will ask for a detailed medical history. They will perform brainwave studies, blood tests and MRI to understand the actual condition. They will also prescribe some medicines to control seizures and recommend a particular diet and lifestyle.
One should also develop a seizure response plan, which is a written document that provides general medical information, emergency contacts, and details about the seizures, medicines, and information about what to do if a seizure happens. This can always be of great help during the time of emergency when a doctor is not available right at the moment. These are the facts one must know about the disease.